I was looking for a new apartment for when I go back to school, and wanted a listing of all apartments in the area. Thankfully, someone had already mapped out every apartment complex in a Google Map. Unfortunately, however, I also wanted the prices associated with those, but was not able to edit the listings to include them. I worked around this by downloading the map data and uploading it into my account, essentially making a copy of the public map that I could edit. Here’s how to do this:
- Open the public map on your screen.
- Copy the URL and paste it into a text editor (like Notepad if you’re on Windows).
- Add “&output=kml” to the end of the URL.
- Copy the new URL and paste it into your browser.
- You’ll be asked where to save the KML (map data) file. Choose a location and download it there.
- Back in Google Maps, go to “My Maps”–>”Create New Map.”
- Click “Import,” then upload the KML file that you just saved.
- Save the map, and now you’ll be able to edit your copy of the public Google map. Enjoy!